|Lisa and I in front of Epcot|
|Napoleon Birthday cake for Lisa's birthday. YUM!|
|"Screw the fork! It's my birthday! I'm chowing down."|
|Dr. Who? (Lisa in "England")|
So, I'm in Orlando right now and staying with a friend I haven't seen almost 13 years. She and I were friends in high school when we both lived in Mississippi back in the late nighties. She and I reconnected over facebook a few years ago and have been pretty close for the better half of a year. So I came to visit her.
I flew to Orlando.
and ended up on Memory Lane.
I think the weirdest thing about this trip is that I'm remembering things that I haven't thought about in a decade. Things like...
- "A likely story..." and "negatory" and "how do you reeeeally feel?"
- Sensory details so poignant, I might as well be in a time machine.
- The way the D. family's arguments could take on any debate team and make their heads oscillate like a salad spinner. (PS. Remember the law of inertia: Don't open the salad spinner when the object is in motion. This can be taken metaphorically and literally. Your choice.)
- The D. family children treat "Game Night" like the opportunity to intellectually wrestle for a chance to be King of the Mental Mountain for a few weeks until the next "Game Night". And how strangely victors and losers are equally smug when it's all over.
- And the movie references! "Do you realize the street value of this mountain? It's pure snow!" and "Heeed! Pants! Now!" and "It's possible. Pig. Conceivable. You vomitous mass."
- Remembering the songs we listened to and either loved or hated. Loved: "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-lot; Hated: "Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Soundgarden.
- Remembering how intimidated I used to be of my friend's dad. (Not so much anymore. I could hold my own as long as we weren't playing Trivial Pursuit, which they tried to talk me into. I put my pedicured foot down on that one.)
|I heart Orlando!|
|Don't tell our husbands, but we met someone. So what if he lives under a bridge and quizzes us on our favorite color and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?|
|We each got a pearl straight from an oyster in "Japan" and got them set into a necklace.|
|We both got size 7 pearls. I learned how to count down (3-2-1) in Japanese, then promptly forgot it.|
Then we created new memories:
- Bingeing on foods of the world...Disney World
- Peeing a little on The Tower of Terror
- Learning how to play Golf without a course
- Watching karaoke at Rising Star on Universal's City Walk, daring each other to sing, and when they didn't call our names, we were equal parts disappointed and relieved.
- Getting a massage by Dawson from Dawson's Creek. (As close to literally as a person can get without being literal.)
- Heel swapping
- Pillow talk with my new/old BFF.
- The best dang mango salsa since the invention of Cafe Rio.
- If you combined PMSing Siren, a Tazmanian Devil having a seizure, and a Banshee having a meltdown together, you'd witness a fraction of the tantrum my friend's toddler had at church. Seriously, a dingo
atepossessed her baby.
- Seeing the top of the dolphin tank in the Nemo exhibit. SO COOL.
I am pretty much having the best time ever. And I still have 2 more days to go!
|Eat your heart out, bobbies!|